Saturday 27 September 2014

Bishop Kieran Conry - another prelate resigns...

The distinctly irreverent Kieran Conry, over-promoted ex-Bishop of Arundel and Brighton, and an excessively influential figure in the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, has admitted being "unfaithful" to his vows as a priest and resigned.

Here’s his statement, to be read out at Masses in his diocese:

"I am sorry to confess that, going back some years, I have been unfaithful to my promises as a Catholic priest. I would like to reassure you that my actions were not illegal and did not involve minors.

As a result, however, I have decided to offer my resignation as bishop with immediate effect and will now take some time to consider my future.

I want to apologise first of all to the individuals hurt by my actions and then to all of those inside and outside the diocese who will be shocked, hurt and saddened to hear this. I am sorry for the shame that I have brought on the diocese and the Church and I ask for your prayers and forgiveness."

Not illegal and did not involve minors? What? Surely we can do better than that?

Actually Kieran Conry's biggest problem was his heterodox teaching. He was constantly traducing the Church's solemn and sacred teaching.

Time to wake up. Save the Church. Save the Catholic people. From now on, give us good men. Worthy men. Holy men.

When, oh when, is Rome going to give us faithful bishops?

The future of the Church in Britain many depend upon it.

+++

1 comment:

Gadfly said...

What really baffles me, is why he confessed at all. His private life was common knowledge yet no move was made against him. He could have brazened it out for years to come as so many other bishops had done before him, particularly as secular law had no bearing on his situation.